Skip to main content

D&D Encounters Session 1

This week I played in the first session of the new D&D Encounters season at my new FLGS, Big Larry's in Leonardtown, MD. We were supposed to start last week, but it was the night before Thanksgiving; kind of poor planning on WotC's part. We had a full group of 6 players, and the store is a great setting to game in. It is a game and comic book store, and a burger/ice cream place. I think that is a great idea.

This was not my first time playing 4e, but it is my first time in a long time. I ran Keep on the Shadowfell when it first came out, and I also ran a campaign through most of heroic tier in the first year of 4e. The only time I have played it since was at the 2010 GenCon Open, the Podgecast guys and I got destroyed in the first encounter. I enjoyed 4e, but had no real desire to run it long term. I looked forward to being a player for one encounter a week though.

There are plenty of recaps out there of session one, so if you want the plot just look around a bit; it is basically Romeo and Juliet. Or maybe it is West Side Story, perhaps there will be dance-fighting and a lot of snapping later on.

The encounter itself is the usual RPG introductory encounter against "goblins". In this case the goblins wee some kind of blue fae. I had a good time, mostly because the group is full of nice guys, but the main weakness of the system was apparent even in the first session. It took two hours to kill a handful of first level monsters. The time between your turns is way too long. If you are with a group of funny guys, this isn't really a problem, but there is really no reason for it to be like this.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traveller : Session 53

    This session was run on January 18, 2024.   220-1118   In the morning, they decided to take the Gerald Masters interview job. Marvin was still too hung over from the night before and had to beg off for the day. They spread out through the station looking for prospective interviewees. Simmi was fairly successful, finding three people willing to be interviewed. She was surprised to learn that most of them were worried that having the fleet there would attract violent attention from the Solomoni instead of providing protection. Aryanna found two people willing to be interviewed, both of which seemed resentful of the large numbers of Navy personnel wandering around the station. M'han was unable to find anyone who would let him interview them.   Zarf attempted to interview a few men in a bar and almost caused a fight because he was asking too many questions. Another patron stepped in at the last minute and started talking about the ...

Wilderlands: Dabber

 Below is my adaptation of the Dabber race from Gamma World for my Castles & Crusades Wilderlands game. I believe that the picture is from the Alternity version of Gamma World. This adaptation has not been subjected to any significant playtesting yet.