Skip to main content

Megadungeons with Streamlined Rules

Ken H. at The Rusty Battle Axe started an interesting discussion about streamlined rules in the dungeon the other day (you should go read it now). He asks the question, "What if the dungeon (in this case, a megadungeon) was a unique feature in an otherwise mundane and non-fantasy medieval world?" He goes on to describe a system, based on S&W Core, that only uses the Human Fighter and the Human Thief. He goes on to describe how this would focus play and force the players to make more creative decisions. He also raises some concerns about gaming this way:

  • The lack of healing
  • The lack of character class choice
  • The loss of tactical options with magic gone
  • It would suck
My first thought when I read this was that it would still be really fun. I have always been enchanted by simplified and pared down rule sets. I have been wanting to run an entire campaign using only the Pathfinder Beginner Box set and some monster books. I was intrigued a few years ago by a discussion about playing an entire D&D campaign using only the Homes set (a quick google search turned up nothing, but it happened). I find E6, the pared down version of the d20 SRD that only goes up to level 6, to be a very cool idea. I have always wanted to run a Castles &Crusades campaign using only their White Box set.

These kinds of simplified systems are especially appealing to me for megadungeons because I find megadungeon play to be pretty much the gamiest of gamey modes of RPG. You are literally going down to grab points and come back up. Obviously there are mysteries to solve, and interactions between the dungeon and the outside world to deal with, but it is simple at its heart. A megadungeon makes very little sense, usually not even within the already fantastical universes they tend to be set in, it exists to be a platform for the game. Since they are so game oriented, I want play to consist of easily implemented game loops. I draw a lot of inspiration for the way I run megadungeons from roguelikes (enjoy that rabbit hole). 

When I run Stonehell, I make changes to Castles & Crusades to better suit the dungeon. In combat I use party initiative, and treat groups of enemies like buckets of hit points instead of individuals, damage is applied to the enemy in a group with the lowest hit point total and overflow damages the next monster in the group. I also use phases in combat, Missile, Melee, and Magic. Each side completes each phase before moving on to the next one. Since I use 1 minute rounds, we only have to worry about movement if someone is trying to do something special. This makes combat go very quickly, but it does remove a lot of the tactical elements. This makes for a short game loop for combat, and reinforces that combat is just part of resource and risk management, the actual challenge in the dungeon. I also use a dungeon exploration turn, exploration is highly structured, checking off torches, ticking off time etc. to move things along and reinforce the main purpose of the game, resource and risk management. I also use a very rudimentary town turn, one I am beefing up by adapting some ideas from Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign book. 

So, I obviously do not think it would suck. I would also not worry about the loss of tactical options in combat, because I don't think that is what megadungeon play is about. The lack of healing is something that you have to be more careful about, while I don't worry about it too much in terms of "the dungeon day"(see why below), it is a bigger concern in that certain monsters may be designed with healing in mind. If you are going to eliminate magical healing, you need to examine the challenges in your dungeon on the individual level a bit. The loss of character class choice can be an issue, but I believe this can be dealt with by making sure the characters are changed in interesting ways by the dungeon (more on this later). 

In his response in The Clash of Spear on Shield, Chris C brings up Searchers of the Unknown, a slimmed down D&D variant where all the rules fit on the character sheet. In SotU there are no classes and, as Chris explains in his post, armor plays a large role in your character abilities. While I have never run a megadungeon campaign using SotU, I have run several games using the system, and I have some ideas on how I would use it in campaign play.

Character customization and differentiation will quickly become an issue in a long term SotU campaign. As Chris points out in his post, magic items, especially of the wondrous nature, will become highly prized. Not only are they rare in a low magic world, but they are a chance to customize your character and add options. SotU also treats scrolls a bit like a roguelike, everyone can use them and they are the only way to cast spells. The standard megadungeon/Underdark tropes also offer an opportunity to customize the characters, by actually changing the character. In a game with only one character class, fountains, potions, pools, altars, statues, and fungi offer the possibility of giving your character some permanent unique ability. As the characters progress through the dungeon, their abilities should be diverging as they gain different unique items, get cursed, receive boons from altars, and powers from drinking from fountains. Of course you will have to make sure that players are willing to engage the special dungeon items more than usual.  

Rob Conley, from The Bat in the Attic, also gave his thoughts on Ken's post. In his post he brings up the very interesting idea that adventurers might treat the megadungeon the way early explorers treated uncharted lands in a world with little magical healing. The adventurers would set up base camps as they went and return to them to heal. This could be combined with something like the entourage system to alleviate the 15-minute dungeon day concerns. With a robust downtime system for the camps, it could create even more interesting opportunities and a more strategic level of resource management.

I think a game like the one described in the original post could work. In fact, I am a bit excited to try it myself.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hex Crawls

Those of you who have been reading this blog know that I have never run a megadungeon before. I have always used more realistic dungeon settings, keeping all underground areas to a minimum and keeping the over all size of castles and the like fairly small. There is another style of gaming I have never indulged in: the hex crawl. I have never seen hexes as discrete chunks of the map. I always just used them as a guide to find distance if they were present and not worrying about themif they were not. I have always taken a more continuous view of overland maps. This is another streak that will be ending with my upcoming OSRIC game. I will be using James M's Outdoor Map as a starting pont in my campaign. I will be heavily modifying it for my purposes but most of the features will stay the same. I will be adding my own versions of Castles Blackmoor and Greyhawk to the map. I have been struggling with how a hex crawl works. How do I know if they find features in the hex and isn't 5 m

Traveller: Session 5

    This is part of an ongoing campaign. You can find the other sessions over on the sidebar. This session was run on October 27, 2022. This session contains secret communications between me and the individual players. This means that these recaps do not cover everything that happened in the session. I will be reporting only the information that all players had access to.   131-1116   After the council meeting ended, Nashu, Archduke Ishuggi’s chief of staff, pulled him aside. Following the revelation that Yuri Lang, the emperor’s would-be assassin, had been a member of Archduke Adair’s intelligence service and had been involved in a combined operation with Gateway Intelligence, she had the staff run overlap checks on all recent contacts. The goal was to determine if there were any more unexpected connections between people that could be a threat to Ishuggi or the emperor.   She learned that, in 1113, Yuri Lang (“Baron Pazi”), Zurzi (Archduke Bzrk’s chief of st

Wilderlands: Session 36

    This session was run on May 1 st , 2023 They continued heading east towards the beach with the rock rolling along beside them. They were not sure where they had washed ashore with respect to the various port cities on the coast, so the best plan was to reach the beach and then decide how to proceed from there. Around noon, the skies darkened and white flakes began to fall from the sky. As it was around 85 degrees, they realized that it could not be snow. It turned out to be ash. The ashfall was quickly mixed with a moderate rain. They discovered that the rain stung when it hit unprotected flesh and raised small red welts. Drex found shelter in a hollow beneath the roots of a large tree and they waited out the acid rain for a couple of hours before resuming their journey. They reached the water as it was getting dark and spent an uneventful night camped just off the beach. In the morning, they could see masts on the horizon to the north, but nothing to the so