Skip to main content

Megadungeons: Customizing Stonehell

There is a reason that I cannot start on the Castle Whale right now, I already have a megadungeon project I am working on, my ongoing Stonehell game. I have been running Stonehell for various groups since early 2010, and I have kept a persistent dungeon through every session. That means that there have been a lot of changes to my version over many sessions, especially in the first two levels. While the physical layout is mostly the same, most of the original room descriptions have changed as a result of player actions. Recently I have started changing the dungeon further by adding my own sub-levels. These sub-levels have introduces an interesting wrinkle to my dungeon, history.

My current campaign world does not have much history. It is a mixture of parts of my old campaigns and commercial products. The "civilized" continent has only its major port city, The City State of the Invincible Overlord, detailed. I brought Judges Guild's classic city over from a Castles & Crusades campaign I set there in 2011. I kept all of the continuity from that campaign as history in this version, but no Stonehell character has ever visited it. I know almost nothing else about that continent.

There is a large island city between the two continents called Dar Janix. It is the home to the exiled Knights Templar of the Circle of Dar Janix, a group I have used in my games since 1995. There is a lot of history built up around this group, their city, and the dungeon under it, but Stonehell characters rarely come here. Several of the knights were featured heavily in my first Stonehell campaign, but they have not been heard from since.

The "wild continent" has only Stonehell and a few miles of wilderness around it detailed. The wilderness is ripped from one of Rob Conley's excellent Points of Light books, but has only served as the setting for a murder mystery session. Until recently, I knew little of the history of this place either. I wound up creating a history of this continent and its interactions with the other continent while making my sub-level, "The Conquistador's Tomb". While I am happy with what I came up with, it causes a problem for this lazy GM, it doesn't fit with Stonehell's history. I am going to have to do work.

I also need to makes some changes from a game play perspective. Stonehell is great, but it is huge. I have found Level 1 and Level 2 to be the right size, but starting on Level 3 the place is a bit too big for me. I need a lot of XP available in the first two levels because of character deaths. I also prefer to have more consolidated XP awards attached to higher risk start around character level 4 as well.

Luckily, Stonehell was designed with GM hacking in mind and is easy to take apart and use in pieces. Still, this is going to be a lot of work. There are some areas that I will keep as written, others that will stay but be drastically changed, and others that will be eliminated entirely. My initial survey leads me to believe I will have to create some areas other than sub-levels myself.

This will be transparent to my players. For all the sessions I have run in this dungeon, there are whole sections that no character has ever set foot in, especially below Level 2. I will not be making any changes, beyond those that I normally make, to explored areas. This is going to be a big project, luckily I do not have to do it all at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hex Crawls

Those of you who have been reading this blog know that I have never run a megadungeon before. I have always used more realistic dungeon settings, keeping all underground areas to a minimum and keeping the over all size of castles and the like fairly small. There is another style of gaming I have never indulged in: the hex crawl. I have never seen hexes as discrete chunks of the map. I always just used them as a guide to find distance if they were present and not worrying about themif they were not. I have always taken a more continuous view of overland maps. This is another streak that will be ending with my upcoming OSRIC game. I will be using James M's Outdoor Map as a starting pont in my campaign. I will be heavily modifying it for my purposes but most of the features will stay the same. I will be adding my own versions of Castles Blackmoor and Greyhawk to the map. I have been struggling with how a hex crawl works. How do I know if they find features in the hex and isn't 5 m

Traveller: Session 5

    This is part of an ongoing campaign. You can find the other sessions over on the sidebar. This session was run on October 27, 2022. This session contains secret communications between me and the individual players. This means that these recaps do not cover everything that happened in the session. I will be reporting only the information that all players had access to.   131-1116   After the council meeting ended, Nashu, Archduke Ishuggi’s chief of staff, pulled him aside. Following the revelation that Yuri Lang, the emperor’s would-be assassin, had been a member of Archduke Adair’s intelligence service and had been involved in a combined operation with Gateway Intelligence, she had the staff run overlap checks on all recent contacts. The goal was to determine if there were any more unexpected connections between people that could be a threat to Ishuggi or the emperor.   She learned that, in 1113, Yuri Lang (“Baron Pazi”), Zurzi (Archduke Bzrk’s chief of st

Wilderlands: Session 36

    This session was run on May 1 st , 2023 They continued heading east towards the beach with the rock rolling along beside them. They were not sure where they had washed ashore with respect to the various port cities on the coast, so the best plan was to reach the beach and then decide how to proceed from there. Around noon, the skies darkened and white flakes began to fall from the sky. As it was around 85 degrees, they realized that it could not be snow. It turned out to be ash. The ashfall was quickly mixed with a moderate rain. They discovered that the rain stung when it hit unprotected flesh and raised small red welts. Drex found shelter in a hollow beneath the roots of a large tree and they waited out the acid rain for a couple of hours before resuming their journey. They reached the water as it was getting dark and spent an uneventful night camped just off the beach. In the morning, they could see masts on the horizon to the north, but nothing to the so