Skip to main content

GenCon 2018



I once again have let this blog lapse for over a year, mostly because the communities I used it to 
interact with largely faded. One of the groups that I game with now has several people who write 
gaming blogs, so I am incentivized to pick it back up again. GenCon has always represented the
 beginning of the gaming year for me, so returning with a recap of that event seems fitting.


GenCon has changed a lot over the last few years, both for me personally, and as a whole. I have 
noticed a positive shift in the demographics to a younger, more diverse crowd. The convention has 
also expanded its support for families, and “cons within the con” like Contessa. On the whole, it is 
a bigger, better, and more interesting convention. For the last three years, my wife and daughter 
have come with me, and there is plenty for them to do (my wife is not a gamer).


Along with the change of bringing my family, the con has changed for me personally. The groups 
that I traditionally spent my convention with have largely disappeared. After the PodgeCast ended,
the group that grew around it dissolved; and Troll Lord Games no longer goes to GenCon. This left 
me wandering the convention alone when I wasn’t running a game or hanging out with my family. I 
did not really have a group of gamers to talk to throughout the con. Sure, the people that play in my 
games are great, but I don’t usually see them again throughout the weekend.This year I decided to 
change that.


In addition to my usual ticketed games, I signed up to demo games at the Monte Cook Games 
booth. This turned out to be the best decision I made this GenCon. I have never done booth 
demonstrations before, and I really enjoyed it. I ran “No Thank You, Evil” and “Numenera” and 
met a bunch of really great people. It was a blast to see how each group of players took a 
different approach to the demo game. The MCG people were great, especially Darcy who took 
the time to chat before I ran my first game. I look forward to doing this again next year.



I ran five sessions of Stonehell (4 ticketed and 1 off the grid) this year. There is no doubt that 
Stonehell has produced more return on investment for me than any other gaming purchase. 
I have run dozens of Stonehell games at conventions (depending on what counts, I broke 
50 this weekend) and players still provide me with a surprising experience every time. As many
of you know, I run a persistent dungeon, so my convention games impact my home games. 
This means that the dungeon has changed quite a bit over the years. Each of my GenCon 
games were for a table of 10, and I find that B/X D and D still works really well for groups of this 
size.


I was lucky to run two games where there were three generations from the same family at the table. 
One of these turned out to be the most surreal gaming experience I have ever had. The 
grandfather caught on to one of my lazy GM shortcuts and, instead of calling me on it, decided to 
play into it and mess with me. Those of you who do not like session recaps can skip the italicized 
text.


The group consisted of a young woman, her brothers, her father, her grandfather, and several unsuspecting people who were not related to them. I need to explain ahead of time that I can be a lazy, lazy GM. When I run Stonehell, there is not really a campaign setting. Each adventure starts at the steps to the dungeon and the town is only slightly more detailed than the town menu in Wizardry. I sprinkle around details that, Star Wars-style, make it seem like there is this whole world. But, I don’t know anymore than the players. I also let the players make up most of the setting on the fly by asking clerics about their god etc. In the rare case where players start digging in for more detail, I fall back on a trick that requires even less effort on my part: lyrics to ‘60s and ‘70s songs. Essentially, my GMing style is to write checks against an empty bank account. In this session, grandpa took that check to the bank.


Before entering the dungeon, the party met an old woman by a wagon. She was concerned that her magically gifted daughter had entered Stonehell and was susceptible to the lure to the dark arts. Eight parties out of ten would just head off into the dungeon to rescue the daughter, this one started digging into the old woman, her wagon, and the why. One of the players started pressing me about who the old woman was and why she had this wagon. I asked her to tell me about the wagon, and described a fairly stereotypical Roma-derived people. 

While the rest of the party started looking around for the secondary entrance described by the woman, the granddaughter pressed the old woman on why she thought her daughter might turn to the dark arts. Still no problem for me, because she had been nice enough to hand me Cher.


GRANDFATHER: I check in the well for a staircase.


ME: You don’t see a staircase. The well seems to be empty.


GRANDDAUGHTER: So, you had to raise her all by yourself? How did that happen?


ME: City folk didn’t trust our people, so we were always poor. Most of our money came from men coming into camp to watch my mother dance and my father sold fake potions. We were never in one place long before some morally outraged crowd ran us off.


GRANDFATHER: I go to the well and bang on it.


ME: Nothing happens when you bang on the well. One time we picked up a young man who traveled with us for a while. Three months after we dropped him off, I knew I was in trouble.


GRANDFATHER: I go back to the well and examine it really close.


GRANDDAUGHTER: Grandpa, stop going to the well. There is nothing there.


GRANDFATHER (staring right at me and smiling): This seems like the kind of game where you can’t go to the well too many times.


ME (now fully focused on the grandfather): OK, you are sure that this is a wishing well. As you lean in you see a ghostly form far below with chains on its feet.


GRANDFATHER: Edmund! Is that you? It has been years! We thought your ship was lost with all hands when a November storm came early.


GRANDDAUGHTER: Grandpa?


ME: It was no storm. It was murder.


GRANDFATHER: Children, I am going to have to step up and take the lead. There is an evil here that is far more ancient than expected; and only I am armed to fight it.


What followed was three of the most enjoyable hours of D&D I have ever run. The grandfather and I riffed on old song lyrics to make up a murder mystery and I am pretty sure no one else was wise to it.


On the family side, my daughter said that this year’s GenCon was her favorite yet. The highlights for 
her were cosplaying as Miraculous Ladybug along with building and destroying Cardhalla.     

  

I suspect that I will be back to blogging for a while now. I have a few things I am working on, as well 
as group session recaps, so I should have plenty of material.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hex Crawls

Those of you who have been reading this blog know that I have never run a megadungeon before. I have always used more realistic dungeon settings, keeping all underground areas to a minimum and keeping the over all size of castles and the like fairly small. There is another style of gaming I have never indulged in: the hex crawl. I have never seen hexes as discrete chunks of the map. I always just used them as a guide to find distance if they were present and not worrying about themif they were not. I have always taken a more continuous view of overland maps. This is another streak that will be ending with my upcoming OSRIC game. I will be using James M's Outdoor Map as a starting pont in my campaign. I will be heavily modifying it for my purposes but most of the features will stay the same. I will be adding my own versions of Castles Blackmoor and Greyhawk to the map. I have been struggling with how a hex crawl works. How do I know if they find features in the hex and isn't 5 m

Traveller: Session 5

    This is part of an ongoing campaign. You can find the other sessions over on the sidebar. This session was run on October 27, 2022. This session contains secret communications between me and the individual players. This means that these recaps do not cover everything that happened in the session. I will be reporting only the information that all players had access to.   131-1116   After the council meeting ended, Nashu, Archduke Ishuggi’s chief of staff, pulled him aside. Following the revelation that Yuri Lang, the emperor’s would-be assassin, had been a member of Archduke Adair’s intelligence service and had been involved in a combined operation with Gateway Intelligence, she had the staff run overlap checks on all recent contacts. The goal was to determine if there were any more unexpected connections between people that could be a threat to Ishuggi or the emperor.   She learned that, in 1113, Yuri Lang (“Baron Pazi”), Zurzi (Archduke Bzrk’s chief of st

Wilderlands: Session 36

    This session was run on May 1 st , 2023 They continued heading east towards the beach with the rock rolling along beside them. They were not sure where they had washed ashore with respect to the various port cities on the coast, so the best plan was to reach the beach and then decide how to proceed from there. Around noon, the skies darkened and white flakes began to fall from the sky. As it was around 85 degrees, they realized that it could not be snow. It turned out to be ash. The ashfall was quickly mixed with a moderate rain. They discovered that the rain stung when it hit unprotected flesh and raised small red welts. Drex found shelter in a hollow beneath the roots of a large tree and they waited out the acid rain for a couple of hours before resuming their journey. They reached the water as it was getting dark and spent an uneventful night camped just off the beach. In the morning, they could see masts on the horizon to the north, but nothing to the so