Skip to main content

Reviving This Blog

I am going to attempt to revive this blog. Law school is taking less of my time now that it is drawing to a close, and I have a lot of stuff built up that I can write about. I also have some projects that I have started working on that I will cover here. They are all intended for my personal use, so I will offer them here for anyone else who wants to tinker with them or comment on them.

  • @ttack: A stripped down version of early fantasy role-playing games that will emulate the play in a roguelike. It will focus on random item identification, random dungeons, and solo/referee-less play
  • Inspired by my latest read-through of the LotFP Referee Manual, I have decided to make up a list of unique monsters. I want to shift the enemies in my game away from the standard roster and move towards the unique and mysterious. These will be monsters to be used rarely, that will be completely unknown to the players
  • My own detailed wilderness exploration rules. There is likely a long wilderness trek in the near future of my Stonehell campaign. I want it to focus on man versus nature more than random monster encounters. I will need these rules to allow for more detail than what is general included in core rulebooks, but not reach the insanity present in the Wilderness Survival Guide. I will be covering many of the same areas of the WSG but in less detail.
  • First: A sci-fi game inspired by '70s sci-fi TV like Space:1999. The game will center in humanity's first faster-than-light ship. The ship was built by a conglomeration of state, super-state, military, and business interests. Each interest will have different objectives it wants to achieve from the exploration mission. The players will play the representatives of those different interests and try to sway a weak captain, while having to work together to survive. While I want to keep the cool silver jumpsuit/mini-skirt aesthetic of the period's shows, I will be limiting aliens to the really alien. No people with funny foreheads.
  • I may be running an introductory game soon for people that have never played before. I want to use a vampire, but not the modern angsty and sparkly kind. I want an old-time, aristocrat vampire that literally leaches off the poor folk. I also want the vampire to be a surprise. I want to use LotFP for this.
  • A con game involving monster hunting with miniatures. I was inspired by a recent article in Wargamer Illustrated about a medieval monster hunting wargame. I want to do it with a bidding system instead of dice. It will involve a small number of miniatures and terrain. I would like to run it at a con and have the winner take the game home with them.
  • A cyberpunk game using old school style rules that features the tunnels under Paris and the 'net as two parallel megadungeons.
These are the things I am planning on working on over the next year. My Stonehell game continues and has passed the one year mark at this point. The players have pretty much cleared out the first level and have started to make tentative forays into the second level. They have had their first encounters with the highly trained hobgoblins. The Knights of Dar Janix have taken over their base town, this offers new chances to learn spells, but there are strings attached. The ranger teleported himself to a far away cave in an arctic wasteland. A cave that shows signs of being of ancient dwarf construction. The ranger will face a long trek back to his party across uncharted wilderness.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hex Crawls

Those of you who have been reading this blog know that I have never run a megadungeon before. I have always used more realistic dungeon settings, keeping all underground areas to a minimum and keeping the over all size of castles and the like fairly small. There is another style of gaming I have never indulged in: the hex crawl. I have never seen hexes as discrete chunks of the map. I always just used them as a guide to find distance if they were present and not worrying about themif they were not. I have always taken a more continuous view of overland maps. This is another streak that will be ending with my upcoming OSRIC game. I will be using James M's Outdoor Map as a starting pont in my campaign. I will be heavily modifying it for my purposes but most of the features will stay the same. I will be adding my own versions of Castles Blackmoor and Greyhawk to the map. I have been struggling with how a hex crawl works. How do I know if they find features in the hex and isn't 5 m

Traveller: Session 5

    This is part of an ongoing campaign. You can find the other sessions over on the sidebar. This session was run on October 27, 2022. This session contains secret communications between me and the individual players. This means that these recaps do not cover everything that happened in the session. I will be reporting only the information that all players had access to.   131-1116   After the council meeting ended, Nashu, Archduke Ishuggi’s chief of staff, pulled him aside. Following the revelation that Yuri Lang, the emperor’s would-be assassin, had been a member of Archduke Adair’s intelligence service and had been involved in a combined operation with Gateway Intelligence, she had the staff run overlap checks on all recent contacts. The goal was to determine if there were any more unexpected connections between people that could be a threat to Ishuggi or the emperor.   She learned that, in 1113, Yuri Lang (“Baron Pazi”), Zurzi (Archduke Bzrk’s chief of st

Traveller: Session 24

    This session was run on March 30, 2023.     With the Prismatic Ray safely on the ground and camouflaged, Aryanna decided to head to the artists’ commune to monitor the situation with the pirates they had escaped from and to establish radio contact with Arenui and Mar-ven through local channels to avoid giving away their position. Mhan, Hal, and Zarf stayed behind with the ship. Using the Ray’s passive sensors, they could see that the Razer’s Blade , the 100 ton boat launched from Jugisaal’s Razer to intercept them, had finished with Jade’s cargo lighter and was entering Twinsong’s atmosphere. In Caldera, Arenui and Mar-ven were finishing up negotiations at the life support supply warehouse when the air defense alert sirens started to sound. The warehouse owner told them that they had to leave the building while he took his employees into the strong room. They attempted to convince him to allow them to shelter in the strong room as well, but he refused becau